자유게시판

The Firm of Girdlestone/Chapter 29

페이지 정보

작성자 Coy 작성일 24-06-30 22:04 조회 9 댓글 0

본문

They were-er-daisies-a kind o' daisies. But nothing will ever turn up for our poor old Colonel till his poor old toes turn up to the daisies. It is advisable that nobody should stand behind a man's club when he hits the ball, but even this, I feel convinced, a man can get accustomed to, if he will only apply his mind to it. What are you holding behind your back? Yet even in the country, and within the sound of the surf, there are blue days,-days when the routine of pleasures begins to tire, and the satiated mind seeks more solid and substantial enjoyments. It occurred to Mr. Hoopdriver even at the moment that this was scarcely brotherly behaviour. Some one began letting off fireworks, chiefly Catherine wheels, down the shop, though Mr. Hoopdriver knew it was against the rules. He's shy of me and he's too brainy for Tony and Algie; and as to letting him play golf with Dinah, I'm hanged if he's going to! Right you are," quoth Tony. "Ha, ha! Right under his wheels he saw the Young Lady in Grey. Anon Mr. Hoopdriver found himself riding out of the darkness of non-existence, pedalling Ezekiel's Wheels across the Weald of Surrey, jolting over the hills and smashing villages in his course, while the other man in brown cursed and swore at him and shouted to stop his career.

And the customer Mr. Hoopdriver was going to serve was the Young Lady in Grey. And as Mr. Hoopdriver began to measure faster, the other man in brown said the Young Lady in Grey had been there long enough, and that he was her brother, or else she would not be travelling with him, and he suddenly whipped his arm about her waist and made off with her. She smiled quite frankly at him, just as she had done when she had apologised for stopping him. Finally there is the case of billiards, not a game that is very closely allied to cricket, but one from which much may be learned. ‘It was a case of double or quits,’ explained the young man; ‘that is how I came to lose so much. Sometimes when Pringle came they would bring a school friend, in which case Pringle and he would play the twins. The game is 100, and four can play at a time. There is no longer any doubt that golf is threatening the supremacy of our national game. You may treat anything, from a Viceroy to a Vernacular Paper, with levity; but you must behave reverently toward a ghost, and particularly an Indian one.

HOgFBLlk2aI

Certain players, therefore, hate and cannot play with certain clubs; perhaps it may be said of a few, very few, that they play equally well or badly with all clubs. Neither of you wants to play billiards, I suppose? It was just the sort of dinner and evening to make a man think of every single one of his past sins, and of all the others that he intended to commit if he lived. He himself had to go to a dinner that evening, and would barely be able to make it. For some time they kept dodging in and out of a wayside hotel with two front doors and an inn yard. He had a sudden vision of the white colonial mansion on the mountain-side, with its doors and windows thrown wide, and the strains of an orchestra floating out. I mean," he replied, "that he must bag her before she finds him out. But you must never speak to him as if his sun were setting. He dared not look round. A memory of motion lingers in the muscles of your legs, and round and round they seem to go. The rain and the wind splashed and gurgled and moaned round the house, and the toddy-palms rattled and roared.

As to abolishing the old Colonel, this too presents its difficulties, for Sir Norman Henry and all the celebrated cocked-hats at home and abroad look upon the Indian Staff Corps as Pygmalion looked on his Venus. I have heard it said that Goethe used to go to the top of a tower every day in order to accustom himself to look down without growing giddy. He would read the printed poem that very night, and before retiring to rest he would have Lorimer's verses complete and ready to be sent in for judgement to the examiner. She started up once more; and when she was nearly ready for the turn, he let drive and landed his disk just within the left-hand end of the 10. (Applause). No woman who knew poor Tony could ever conceivably marry him. My dear Gwendolen, you didn't suppose poor Tony had the sense to send her those flowers himself? Flowers? What d'ye mean? It was at this point that the guileful James delivered his insidious yorker, and the dull thud of the tennis ball on the board which served as the wicket told a listening world that Charchester had won the fourth test match, and that the scores were now two all.

If you have any questions concerning in which and how to use what is billiards, you can speak to us at our website.

댓글목록 0

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.

Copyright © suprememasterchinghai.net All rights reserved.